- To want to know God and read his Word and draw near to him – Psalm 119:36
- For eyes to see what God really says in the Bible and not just his own ideas – Psalm 119:18
- To recognize that these things are more than just interesting facts – Ephesians 1:18
- For a heart that is not fragmented (so that parts of it remain in darkness while other parts are enlightened) but united for God – Psalm 86:11
- For a heart that is satisfied with God, not the world – Psalm 90:14
- For a faith that is ‘strong and durable in the face of the worst adversities’, that perseveres during dark seasons – Ephesians 3:16
- To live a life of love and good deeds so that others will taste and see that the Lord is good – Colossians 1:10
- For God’s name to be hallowed; that people would know, fear, love, cherish, admire, praise and trust God because of his life and ministry – Matthew 6:9
Piper also points out that he prays for these things in Jesus’ name because all of these are ours only on the basis of Christ’s death.
This is an excellent example of what it means to pray in accordance with God’s Word.