Do you remember the story from 2001 about the missionaries shot down over Peru? Here’s an update
Now it turns our nothing might as well have been done since agents apparently lied about the incident.
As usual, however, the media (here FoxNews, who at least covered it; I found no story on CNN.com) does a terrible job reporting this. The story fails to answer questions any reasonable person would ask:
1. Who lied? Agents or the people who testified; or are they one and the same?
2. Why did they lie? Were they protecting a source? Were they covering themselves?
3. What did they lie about? If that didn’t happen, what did?
4. What would have happened if they hadn’t lied? Would this have harmed our relations with Peru? Would it have made any difference? (It’s just missionaries, after all, not athletes or music stars.)
5. What were the recommendations the IG made to the CIA director?
6. What is “the substance of the report” on which the CIA will not comment?
7. Could this have been prevented?
On a different note, I find it interesting that Fox News, to get the gist of the incident has to refer, not to the government (which you think would be the authoritative source) but to a magazine, Christianity Today.